There is nothing better than putting your hands around a warm bowl of soup and enjoying it with your whole family around the table. Especially a soup that takes little effort, has FOUR ingredients, and tastes amazing (bonus points that the kids ask for seconds and thirds!).
Contributing post from Kayla @ Time Redone
This Ham and Pinto Bean Soup is a recipe my husband’s grandmother has made for years and that every time we eat it, takes my husband back to his grandparents’ ranch in Colorado. I love that food can bring back cherished memories and stories for us to share with our children. They love getting to hear about the ranch and all of the adventures their daddy had visiting there while growing up.
Since we found ourselves making this recipe often, we adapted it for the crockpot instead of the stovetop for simplicity while we were at work or out on our own adventures with our kids. When I say this is an easy recipe, I’m not exaggerating one bit. In fact, our 6 year old has mastered the prep of this recipe by this point.
I hope this Crockpot Ham and Pinto Bean Soup is one that you can share your own stories over!
Ham and Pinto Bean Soup
Yields: Six Servings
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1.5 pound bone-in ham shank
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- Salt, to taste
- The night before cooking, place beans in the crockpot and cover with about 8 cups of water. Let sit overnight. (Do not turn the crockpot on.)
- In the morning, add ham shank. Add additional water to cover the ham shank, if necessary.
- Cover and cook on “high” for 5-6 hours, “low” for 8 hours, or until beans split.
- Remove ham, shred off of bone, and return shredded meat to crockpot.
- Stir in ketchup and add salt to taste (The amount of salt needed depends on the cut of ham. The last time I made this, I added 1/2 teaspoon.).
Serve with crusty bread, a salad, and stories from the adventures of your days.
Thoughts or questions? Please leave a comment below. I’d love to hear from you.
Hi! I’m Kayla. I’m wife to a time traveling superhero (aka an airline pilot) and mom to three amazing, adventuring little girls. I am a coffee loving runner, a wannabe baker, and a passionate maternal health advocate. I am a creative doer, a lover of the great outdoors, and always game for a new adventure. I am passionate about saving time and helping others do the same! Come and visit me at TimeRedone.