Chocoholics unite! The main ingredient in this homemade body butter recipe is cocoa butter so it smells exactly like chocolate. Mmm…
Seriously. Don’t make this if you’re on a diet. It smells like the most delicious dessert known to (wo)man.
My two-year-old wandered into the kitchen when I was making this homemade body butter and asked, “Is that a brownie?”
No, dear daughter. It’s a rich, luxurious, and moisturizing body butter that I want to rub all over my body.
Besides the amazing smell, you’ll love that this homemade body butter only requires three ingredients to make: cocoa butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil. I went through five trial runs of making this stuff to find the right ratio of ingredients, so yours will turn out perfect the very first time.
This homemade body butter is also incredibly easy to make. Simply combine the ingredients in a saucepan on your stovetop, chill in your refrigerator, and then whip into body butter bliss.
Oh, and did I mention it smells exactly like chocolate?!?
The smell is so intoxicating that I googled if cocoa butter was edible. It turns out that it is, but it doesn’t taste very good so stick to using this on your skin. (Through my google search, I learned that cocoa butter is made of vegetable fat extracted from the cocoa bean. To turn it into sweet milk chocolate, you need to add sugar, milk, and cocoa powder.)
By the way, don’t skimp on the quality of ingredients that you buy to make your body butter. The smell and quality of this homemade body butter rival an upscale spa, and the ingredients play a big part in that. If you really need to save money, I would buy premium cocoa butter and coconut oil and sub grapeseed oil for jojoba oil.
Homemade Body Butter Recipe
Yields: About one cup (8oz) of homemade body butter
- 1/2 cup chopped cocoa butter (I use this organic cocoa butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (I like Whole Food’s and Trader Joe’s organic virgin coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup jojoba oil (I use 100% pure jojoba oil)
- Container for storage (I love these little Weck glass jars, but any small glass jar or plastic container that you have on-hand will work)
- Melt cocoa butter and coconut oil in small non-stick saucepan on your stovetop over low heat.
- Add jojoba oil and stir to combine.
- Pour into mixing bowl and place in refrigerator for 35-45 minutes, until just set. (You’ll know it’s ready when the top turns white in color. Mine takes the whole 45 minutes. If you leave it in the fridge too long, just let it warm for a bit on your countertop.)
- Remove from refrigerator and whip with an electric mixer for 90 seconds or until your body butter has the consistency of, well, whipped butter. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as you mix.
- Spoon your homemade body butter into a container and lather up!
This homemade body butter will make your skin shiny when it’s first applied, but it soaks in and leaves your skin oh-so-soft. I keep a container in my bathroom and apply every day after I shower, and the scent lasts for hours. Mmm…
If you’re thinking about making this homemade body butter as gifts, one pound of cocoa butter, one 16oz jar of coconut oil, and one 16oz bottle of jojoba oil will yield about 6 batches of this recipe. Split it into 4oz jars (like these or these) and you’ll have 12 luxurious gifts of homemade body butter!