It’s no secret I’m obsessed with my slow cooker. There’s a reason I published a Cookbook full of easy and healthy slow cooker recipes. I can’t get enough of it.
I’ll even go out on a limb and say a slow cooker is the most essential kitchen tool for busy moms. Seriously.
When you’re short on time or energy to make dinner, your slow cooker is your best friend.
Here’s a quick, homemade meal that I know your family will love: Slow Cooker Turkey Black Bean Chili. You can throw it together in the morning or freeze it for a morning when you can’t afford to open cans and get messy. (In a previous blog post I explained how to prep and cook freezer meals in your crockpot.)Print
Cook fresh or freeze to cook later. Serve with shredded cheese and chips!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 28oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cans black beans (15oz each), drained and rinsed
- 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 2/3 cup frozen corn (half of a one pound bag)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Break apart turkey and stir.
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Label a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date (which would be 3 months from the prep date).
- Add all ingredients to freezer bag, seal, and freeze up to three months.
- Cook on “low” setting in slow cooker for 6-8 hours.
- Break apart ground turkey and stir.
Here are some of my other favorite slow cooker recipes:
- the Chicken Chili in my freezer recipes cookbook
- the Shredded BBQ Chicken (with mango coleslaw) from my slow cooker cookbook
- Cranberry Pork Roast