I’m so excited to share this new recipe for Crockpot Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Pesto Meatballs. They’re delicious, family-friendly, and so easy to make!
My cousin Jacquie from The Sweeter Side of Mommyhood shared a baked version of this meatball recipe on Instagram a few years ago. It sounded so simple and flavorful that I immediately started freezing pans of it. (Raw, of course. I wrote about how I freeze the meatballs here.)
Since I prefer my using crockpot over my oven I decided to try cooking the meatballs there and they were delish. They’re super easy to make. The pesto is flavorful and the cheese is perfection.
Add a side of spaghetti with extra sauce and your whole family will be happy. Enjoy, Friends!Print
Serve with spaghetti.
- 14.5oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup basil pesto (store-bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4-5 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut into 4 pieces each
- 4oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (about one cup)
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, egg, pesto, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. Form into 18 meatballs.
- Press one piece of mozzarella cheese inside each meatball and place in crockpot.
- Cover with diced tomatoes and cook 6-8 hours on low.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and cook additional 5 minutes or until melted.
To Freeze and Cook Later
Label a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag with the name of the recipe, cooking instructions, and use-by date. Assemble meatballs and add to bag. (You can add diced tomatoes to bag or wait to add until the day of cooking.) Seal and freeze for up to three months.