You’re going to love this twist on traditional chicken noodle soup. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, delicious, and so easy to make!
I prepped two batches of this crockpot chicken soup during my healthy crockpot freezer meals session. We already ate all of it and I can’t wait to make more. Even my 9 month old baby gobbled up the carrots.
I dare say this might be better than traditional chicken soup recipes. You can certainly add noodles, rice, or white beans, but we think it’s sheer perfection as-is.
The original recipe is from my favorite freezer cooking resource, Once a Month Meals. I slightly modified OAMM’s Mexican Chicken Soup recipe below to my family’s likings. Simply add all of the ingredients to your crockpot and cook on the “low” setting or combine and freeze raw for a busy weeknight.
Crockpot Chicken Soup with Mexican Seasonings
Yields: Enough soup to feed 3-4 adults
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice (If you buy a big can/bottle, freeze the extra in ice cubes trays for future soups and chilis)
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1/2 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth (If freezing, this is not needed until day of cooking)
- Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook for 4-8 hours, or until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork and serve!
(Note: The direction to add “6 cups” of chicken broth is a mistake. I only add four.)
To Freeze and Cook Later
- Combine all ingredients (except chicken broth) in a gallon-sized plastic freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible and freeze for up to three months. To cook, thaw and add to crockpot with chicken broth. Cook on “low” setting for 4-8 hours, or until carrots are soft and chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork and serve!
We love eating our soup with shredded cheddar cheese and tortilla chips. Enjoy!