Sure, every pregnant woman packs a hospital bag and stocks up on newborn essentials, but what about the postpartum essentials needed for MOM after giving birth? Since I’m pregnant with my third baby now, I went ahead and created a “postpartum essentials kit” with everything that I’ll need during recovery. Here’s what’s inside.
The first time I was pregnant, I had NO IDEA that postpartum essentials even existed. When I got home from the hospital, my husband had to run around to our local drug store, grocery store, and baby store while I stayed home alone with our newborn.
Since I’m pregnant with my third baby now, I know better.
Creating a postpartum essentials kit is especially important to me this pregnancy since I’m hoping to delivery at a birth center instead of a hospital and will likely be coming home 6-12 hours after delivery. (In a previous blog post, I shared why I’ll only work with midwives.)
I think a postpartum essentials kit is a must-have for every pregnant woman though. And it would make a great gift for a pregnant friend!
(Disclaimer: I’ve had 2 uncomplicated vaginal deliveries so I created my postpartum essentials kit with that in mind. If you’ve had a more complicated birth or c-section, I’d love to hear your postpartum must-haves in a comment below.)
My Postpartum Essential Kit
- Maxi pads and panty liners
- Ice pads (from the hospital, online from Amazon, or DIY’ed like this tutorial from In the Know Mom)
- Granny panties
- Colace stool softener
- Dermoplast pain relief spray (from Amazon or a drug store)
- Tucks medicated hemorrhoidal pads (from Amazon or a drug store)
- Nipple cream – I like Lansinoh (from Amazon or a drug store)
- Nursing pads - I like disposable Johnson and Johnson (from Amazon or a drug store)
- Nursing tanks and yoga pants - This pregnancy, I purchased an Undercover Mama Tank from A Mother’s Boutique
- Info about proper breastfeeding latch and positioning from kellymom.com (I pinned it to Pinterest, if you want to re-pin.)
- FREEZER MEALS (If you’re new to freezer cooking, you can find my favorite easy recipes in my ‘15-Minute Freezer Recipes‘ cookbook and read my best freezer meal tips for beginners.)
Postpartum essentials from other moms
I polled the moms who “like” my New Leaf Wellness Facebook page for additional ideas and here’s what they came up with:
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Mama Bottom Spray!
- Easy snacks (like almonds and granola bars – prepping one of my snack bins would be a great idea too!)
- Preparation H
- A journal to keep track of baby’s eating and wet and dirty diapers
- Magazines, movies, and books
- A breastfeeding timer app
- Adult diapers (The generic target brand was recommended.)
- A step stool to get in and out of bed (important for after a c-section)
If you’re a new mama, here are some of my other mommy 101 blog posts
- 10 tips for pumping at work
- Everything you need to know about introducing solid foods
- What every mom needs to know about baby carriers, wraps, and slings
- How to buy nursing bras ONLINE
- Setting boundaries as a new mom
- Five tips for getting back in shape after baby
If you’ve given birth before, do you agree with my postpartum essentials kit? Anything that you would add?